Scripture is such a great weapon to have on hand. At times of deepest struggles, knowing scripture to turn to that relates to my trial has proved to be a tool that helps me get through the struggle. Having scripture to turn to during workouts and races can prove helpful in providing motivation and distraction from pain!
Endurance athletes utilize mantras all the time – sayings to help them channel their power and repeat to keep the miles from getting monotonous. Memorizing scripture can be a great practice to implement on long runs. Write them on a notecard and put them on the treadmill, or write them on your arm in sharpie, and make a goal to memorize one scripture a month or week!
While scripture can specifically talk about running, often the reference to finding strength in God is more present. While the themes may vary, the truth is there: God is always there with us, and we can draw our strength from Him!
The scriptures also talk about endurance and our patience for things to come. When you are facing months of training, it can help to envision the finish line when things get hard. These scriptures remind us that our earthly finish line is Heaven!
Here are 8 verses that runners and athletes can use for inspiration:
- See, God has come to save me. I will trust in Him and not be afraid.
The Lord God is my strength and my song; He has given me victory. – Isaiah 12:2 (This one is my favorite right now!!)
- Commit everything you do to the Lord. Trust Him, and He will help you. – Psalms 37:5
- So be strong and courageous! Do not be afraid and do not panic before them. For the Lord your God will personally go ahead of you. He will neither fail you nor abandon you. – Deuteronomy 31:6
- Don’t you realize that your body is the temple of the Holy Spirit, who lives in you and was given to you by God? You do not belong to yourself, – 1 Corinthians 6:19
- I wait quietly before God, for my victory comes from Him. – Psalm 62:1
- Seek the Kingdom of God above all else, and live righteously, and He will give you everything you need. – Matthew 6:33
- Patient endurance is what you need now, so that you will continue to do God’s will. Then you will receive all that He has promised. – Hebrews 10:36
- Therefore, since we are surrounded by such a huge crowd of witnesses to the life of faith, let us strip off every weight that slows us down, especially the sin that so easily trips us up. And let us run with endurance the race God has set before us. – Hebrews 12:1 (Perhaps the most famous running verse!)